Yeah, we got one, too.
Editorial Feedback: The Seven Levels of Reaction
I have noticed that when a writer — myself included — receives an editor’s comments they go through a continuum of reactions.
- Hell no, I’m not doing that. Is this person stupid?
- Almost certainly a terrible idea but I’ll think about it one more time.
- That’s interesting.
- Oh crap, of course. I’m going to pretend that was there all along.
- Can I just steal this comment and put it right in the manuscript? Or do I have to ask?
- I wonder if they understand this subject matter better than I do?
- I am blessed to be in contact with someone this smart!
P.S. These aren’t really like the five stages of grief; it’s okay to live all of these places at the same time. I mean, it will have to be… ’cause it’s real.